dependency on correct openssl?

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sun Sep 8 18:31:02 UTC 2019

On 8 Sep 2019, at 2:44, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> Please have a bit of patience.
>
> MacPorts did a wholesale move to openssl 1.1.1 yesterday.

It would be very helpful to have notice of changes this big. I made the
mistake of trying an off-schedule 'upgrade outdated' yesterday and ran
in to a buzzsaw of OpenSSL problems complicated by ongoing churn in the
devel/* world, blowing out two critical branches of the port
dependencies of my 10.6.8/libcxx/i386 system which has been compiling as
fast as it can for over a day now, slowed by the need to manually order
builds and guess which compiler will actually build which specific
ports.

> We scoped out most of the build failures prior, but there are a few
> that have cropped up.

Yes, they have...

> Some of the ones you listed have already been fixed.

A major problem (in effect, not origin) was a typo in the cmake Portfile
that is now fixed, so anyone hitting that should do another sync or
selfupdate. Also, for those like myself who don't have a separate build
environment and need existing operational software built fromMacPorts
(e.g. Postfix, Apache, BIND, Dovecot, etc. ) to not break in operation,
it is helpful to do this after updating OpenSSL:

ln -s /opt/local/lib/openssl-1.0/*.1.0.0.dylib /opt/local/lib/

I'm not quite sure why that wasn't done as a part of upgrade, since
there's always going to be a period of transition where some extant
software still wants the old version.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org