[portgroups] Python

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Thu Sep 12 21:32:58 UTC 2019

Christopher Jones wrote:

> Depends what you are thinking of by ‘officially support’.
>
> We have ports for
>
> python26 @2.6.9_7 (lang)
> python27 @2.7.16_2 (lang)
>
> python32 @3.2.6_8 (lang)
> python33 @3.3.7_3 (lang)
> python34 @3.4.10_2 (lang)
> python35 @3.5.7_1 (lang)
> python36 @3.6.9_1 (lang)
> python37 @3.7.4_1 (lang)
>
> However, that does not mean each of the various ‘py’ ports support all of the above..

I know that.
I'm limiting myself to only bothering with python27 & python37

I could possibly without any problems just plug the rest in with a good
chance of success; but one of the python program I've made as Portfile
for says : 3.3 and above

>> On 12 Sep 2019, at 9:09 pm, Bjarne D Mathiesen <macintosh at mathiesen.info> wrote:
>>
>> Which versions of Python do macports still officially support ?!?

I've had a bit of discussion about supporting python27 in
    https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/5256
and took at look at the python-1.0.tcl file

Now, python-1.0.tcl
    - sets python27 as the default
      with IMHO is a bad idea as it's been on the death-bed for several
      years now; and is being EOLed in 2020
    - there's still a lot of py24 & py25 cruft in there
so I was thinking about
    1 setting python37 as the default
    2 removing all the py24 & py25 stuff

Possibly, also EOL / obsolete python3[2-5] & python26

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
Korsør ; Danmark ; Europa