[portgroups] Python

Bjarne D Mathiesen macintosh at mathiesen.info
Thu Sep 12 22:31:24 UTC 2019

Richard L. Hamilton wrote:
> One might wonder at the number of python version ports.  I suspect a couple of things that I don't know without a lot of digging would provide some perspective:
> * the OS version of python on the earliest OS MacPorts supports, and on each subsequent OS version

I've got both py27 & py37 running on 10.6.8 {i386,x86_64} so the OS is
not a problem

> * the python versions specifically required by various other ports (not just x.y or later, and esp. not just 2.y or 3.y)
> and maybe
> * the degree of change policy for python minor versions (impacting not only the previous point, but and non-MacPorts software that might be dependent on a particular version)> (as the recent openssl switchover showed, some software has backwards
compatibility issues with what are supposedly minor version changes)

In my experience with python3 then if it works in python3x then it also
works in python3x++

The big transitions were
    python25 -> python26
    python31 -> python32
and python27 is fundamentally incompatible with python37; eg the support
for utf-8

--
Bjarne D Mathiesen
Korsør ; Danmark ; Europa