GQ requires XML::Parser

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Mon Sep 16 13:44:07 UTC 2019

On 16 Sep 2019, at 0:36, Dave Horsfall wrote:

> Sierra 10.12.6.
>
> Trying to install the GQ LDAP browser I traced the failure to the Perl
> module "XML::Parser" being required.
> Trying the obvious "port install XML::Parser" resulted in:
>
>     Can't map the URL 'XML::Parser' to a port description file ("Can't
> parse url XML::Parser").
>     Please verify that the directory and portfile syntax are correct.
>     Error: Can't open URL 'XML::Parser' as a port
>     Error: Improper expression syntax while processing parameters
>
> Can someone please remind me how to install this from ports (I
> assume)?

Generally, Perl modules map to MacPorts port names by case-squashing,
replacement of :: with - and prefixing with 'p5-' or p5.##- where ##
denotes the specific Perl minor version (without patchlevel.) The p5-*
ports are wrappers with variants for the available Perl versions and
dependencies on the versioned ports.

> Or is it pure Perl?  If the latter I'll then have to remember how to
> install a Perl module...

There are ports for many "pure Perl" modules. It is generally unwise to
use CPAN (either via the cpan script or 'perl -MCPAN -e <command>') to
install modules that exist as ports, particularly to fix dependencies in
MacPorts-originated software.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org