Using outside values in a Portfile tcl

Steven Smith steve.t.smith at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 00:45:05 UTC 2019

> obviously, my system isn’t called host.domain.tld or the relayhost mymailrelay.tld.

Please refer to `port notes mail-server`:

“Users must reconfigure this installation for their own system, network, and security model specifics by editing all necessary files and checking file permissions.”

A deployed mail server will require many changes to the example working configuration provided in the mail-server port: TLS, DKIM, DNS, SPF, DMARC, possibly a mail relay, and more. Use the MacPorts configuration as a working basis to start from and edit the configuration for your own deployment. Users must reconfigure the mail-server installation for their own system, network, and security model specifics by editing all necessary files and checking file permissions.

Also, these settings are changes in mail-server’s post-activate block to use the current network settings of the installation. See: https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/022f7da78c0cbab9492c60680569cf0483f2e48f/mail/mail-server/Portfile#L328-L342

Bottom line: don’t waste time trying to coerce a Portfile to automatically configure your deployed mail server when there’s a zillion other settings you’ll have to take care of yourself anyway.