Ubuntu 18.04.4 on older Apple hardware

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Apr 6 04:34:51 UTC 2020

On Apr 5, 2020, at 10:55, db wrote:

> On 5 Apr 2020, at 14:00, Ken Cunningham wrote:
>
>> Although many here, including me, are focused on bringing current software to older Apple hardware within the constraints of the software capabilities last available on that OS version, there is another alternative; to install a current version of linux, such as Ubuntu, on those systems. I spent some time doing that on an older MacBook 2,1 today, and I was pleasantly surprised at the success, in the end.
>> […]
>
> Did you try a current version of macOS on top of ESXi? I'd be curious if anyone has tested this setup and how is the performance.

The current version of macOS does work in ESXi on Apple hardware, even Apple hardware not designed to run the current version of macOS. We do this on for our buildbot workers which run on 2009 Xserves.

However MacBook2,1 is not qualified for use with ESXi so I don't know if it would work on that hardware.

And certainly that's not going to be helpful if you actually want to use the MacBook's screen or keyboard to control macOS. You would only be able to access the VM from another computer.