Pruning old Perl installs

raf macports at raf.org
Tue Apr 7 04:21:31 UTC 2020

Kieran Simpson wrote:

> I'm going through my ports installation and pruning out old versions. I've
> cleared out a few Python installs and now Perl is getting the same
> treatment. However I've gotten stuck and am not sure on the best way to
> proceed without breaking something.
>
> $ port installed perl*
> The following ports are currently installed:
>   perl5 @5.26.1_0+perl5_26 (active)
>   perl5.24 @5.24.4_4 (active)
>   perl5.26 @5.26.3_4 (active)
>   perl5.28 @5.28.2_2 (active)
>
> $ port dependents perl5.24
> p5.24-alien-wxwidgets depends on perl5.24
>
> $ sudo port uninstall p5.24-alien-wxwidgets depends on perl5.24
> Note: It is not recommended to uninstall/deactivate a port that has
> dependents as it breaks the dependents.
> The following ports will break: p5-alien-wxwidgets @0.690.0_0
>
> $ port info p5-alien-wxwidgets
> p5-alien-wxwidgets @0.690.0 (perl)
> Replaced by:        p5.26-alien-wxwidgets
> Sub-ports:            p5.26-alien-wxwidgets, p5.28-alien-wxwidgets,
> p5.30-alien-wxwidgets
>
> Library Dependencies: p5.26-alien-wxwidgets
>
> So by removing p5.24-alien-wxwidgets I don't think anything will break.
> However any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

I might be wrong but it looks like you copied and
pasted "p5.24-alien-wxwidgets depends on perl5.24"
(i.e. the output of "port dependents perl5.24") onto
the end of the "sudo port uninstall" command instead of
just copying and pasting "p5.24-alien-wxwidgets" onto
the end of it (i.e. in the command itself rather than
just in this email about the command).

If that's the case, I think the warning you are getting
is because you're asking port to uninstall four
packages, "p5.24-alien-wxwidgets", "depends", "on", and
"perl5.24", and it's complaining that perl5.24 has
dependencies. Admittedly, it's a dependency that you
are uninstalling at the same time, but it doesn't seem
to have noticed that (unless I'm missing something).

Do you get an error if you run:

  $ sudo port uninstall p5.24-alien-wxwidgets

If not, then this might work afterwards:

  $ sudo port uninstall p5.24

Good luck,
raf