Port install never uses packages, always compiles from source - why?

Lothar Haeger lothar.haeger at gmx.net
Sat Apr 11 07:02:51 UTC 2020

> The prebuilt ports on the buildbot are not building their ports to go into /Applications, so therefore they don’t match your setup — so you can’t use them (even though many would be OK, it’s an all-or-nothing thing.

Ok, so what if I want to change back to the default and set "applications_dir" to "/applications/MacPorts"? Will this break the already installed ports somehow? Would I have to move them manually to the default location? Or uninstall and reinstall them? Or would that only affect new installs and updates?