Port install never uses packages, always compiles from source - why?

Lothar Haeger lothar.haeger at gmx.net
Sat Apr 11 07:20:26 UTC 2020

> If you think about it for a moment you will realize there is no way to use the prebuilt binaries with non-standard installation options.

Application bundles are supposed to be self contained and movable, afaik, and I would expect those built by macports to be that, too.

> From https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/CoreFoundation/Conceptual/CFBundles/BundleTypes/BundleTypes.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/10000123i-CH101-SW1 <https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/CoreFoundation/Conceptual/CFBundles/BundleTypes/BundleTypes.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/10000123i-CH101-SW1>
>
> Application bundles are one of the most common types of bundle created by developers. The application bundle stores everything that the application requires for successful operation.

> From https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/CoreFoundation/Conceptual/CFBundles/AboutBundles/AboutBundles.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/10000123i-CH100-SW1 <https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/documentation/CoreFoundation/Conceptual/CFBundles/AboutBundles/AboutBundles.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/10000123i-CH100-SW1>
> Users can install, relocate, and remove bundles simply by dragging them around in the Finder.
>
> Most (but not all) executable code can be bundled. Applications, frameworks (shared libraries), and plug-ins all support the bundle model. Static libraries, dynamic libraries, shell scripts, and UNIX command line tools do not use the bundle structure.

Command line tools installed under <prefix> might be different, but I can also move a binary from /opt/local/bin to e.g. /usr/local/bin and it still works and finds its libs and dependencies as long they're in the path.

So what exactly did I miss in that short moment I was thinking about it? ;-) And does it really apply to application bundles, too?