Ubuntu 18.04.4 on older Apple hardware

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 01:43:01 UTC 2020

Well, there are plenty of "birthing issues" but in general, Ubuntu on
older MacOS hardware does work.

It is a pain to get "refind" working correctly -- I still can't get it
sorted out right. The trackpad only works reasonably well if I set all
the acceleration to near zero, and even then, kludgy to be honest.

But access to the current browser, applications, and underlying OS
functionality is pretty nice. This older MacBook 2,1 works very nicely.

Raimue suggested a long time ago (several years at least) to forget
about trying to make newer software work on older MacOS hardware under
MacOS, and to move on to Linux instead -- that might not have been a
terrible idea. It works.

I can't escape how tightly MacOS works -- trackpad, mic input, sound,
hardware -- I find it's much better than any other options. Linux can't
compare. But if we're left to die in the desert, I guess this is what we
have to choose from, and I'm happy to have it as an option.