macports localinstall github tries to download from macports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Apr 29 15:20:36 UTC 2020

On Apr 29, 2020, at 08:12, macports at parvis.nl wrote:

> On 2020-04-29, at 13:11, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> but that results in https://github.com/snabb/downtimed/archive/version-1.0/downtimed-1.0.tar.gz (the version number in 2 places).
>>
>> That's correct. It works. Use it.
>
> indeed it works,but can you explain why it works?
>
> we want:
> https://github.com/snabb/downtimed/archive/version-1.0.tar.gz
>
> port distfiles says:
> https://github.com/snabb/downtimed/archive/version-1.0/downtimed-1.0.tar.gz

The GitHub web site / web server is programmed to allow both forms to work. In fact you can specify any filename with a .tar.gz extension after the tag name, so this also works:

https://github.com/snabb/downtimed/archive/version-1.0/anything.tar.gz

When I wrote the github 1.0 portgroup I decided to program it to use the distfile naming scheme that we most commonly see with other projects outside of GitHub, namely ${name}-${version}${extract.suffix}. I dislike distfile names that do not contain the project name, so since it was possible for us to avoid that problem, I chose to have the portgroup do so.