Python 3.8.2 - Macports configuration problem

Uli Wienands wienands at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 00:34:54 UTC 2020

To chime in here, it really depends. It seems that your direct
installation has all the packages you need, so it may be easier to keep
that one updated. It is hard to see a downside of doing that. For me, I
am nursing along one Mac running 10.6; in part to keep some PPC stuff
running, in part because I like 10.6 so much better than the newer
versions, so I use Macports since the python.org installer requires
10.9. And then, it is easiest to use Macport for the newer machines as
well and have a common installation everywhere.

For me, the biggest downside of Macports is the risk one takes everytime
one updates Macports and/or individual ports. I have had enough breakage
that I have become very hesitant ugrading things, as breakage occurs
that sometimes is very hard to recover from.

My $0.02,

Uli