MS Sans Serif font in X11 under macOS

Christoph Kukulies kuku at kukulies.org
Sat Aug 22 06:36:49 UTC 2020

I’m running a tk/tcl app on my FreeBSD box that has the font „MS Sans Serif“ wired in.
This leads to an X11-error when starting the application (bsvc) with my macOS (catalina 15.5.6) as the server:

$ bsvc
X Error of failed request:  BadName (named color or font does not exist)
  Major opcode of failed request:  45 (X_OpenFont)
  Serial number of failed request:  42

Is there a way to install the missing font using a macport? Or what is the closest standard X11 font that can be used instead of the MS font?

—
Christoph