python2.7 throws bus error when issuing `help("modules")'

joerg van den hoff veedeehjay at gmail.com
Sun Aug 23 11:19:52 UTC 2020

seen with current macports and

Python 2.7.18 (default, Apr 22 2020, 05:03:29)
[GCC 4.2.1 Compatible Apple LLVM 11.0.3 (clang-1103.0.32.29)] on darwin

I get a reproducible bus error when trying to get a list of known modules

with `help("modules").

/usr/bin/python (which is 2.7.16) does not do this and lists the modules just fine. any ideas how to
track this down?

thanks,

joerg

ps: background is, I want to get hgsubversion work again with hg -- neither the macports provided
nor the directly downloaded `hgsubversion' is currently recognized by `hg' which chokes with "no
module 'svncommands'. this makes me suspect that python does not find the (macports installed)
subversion bindings for python etc etc ...