python2.7 throws bus error when issuing `help("modules")'

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Aug 24 21:33:52 UTC 2020

On Aug 24, 2020, at 3:49 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 2020, at 13:27, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 24, 2020 at 2:15 PM Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>> If you believe PyObjC should do something differently, please take it up with the developers of PyObjC.
>>
>> Macports is responsible for the code it distributes. It is called
>> "supply chain management".
>
> Well. What I was prepared to do to fix this problem was to apply a patch that had previously been created by one of our developers, and had been accepted by the developers of PyObjC. The same code is present in the current PyObjC distributed by its developers. I'm not prepared to further analyze their code to understand how it works and to understand your proposal for changing it. You are welcome to take up any further desired changes with the developers of PyObjC. If they make any changes that are important to py27 and py35 as well we can back-port them.

It's also super-silly to expect that MacPorts is taking "responsibility" for all upstream projects.

MacPorts is a community-sourced collection of build recipes. It also hosts some mirrors for files referenced in those build recipes and the cached results of those build recipes.

It's all done by volunteers and if you paid someone for access to them, you should follow-up with whomever you paid.

--
Daniel J. Luke