python2.7 throws bus error when issuing `help("modules")'

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Tue Aug 25 01:56:35 UTC 2020

On Aug 24, 2020, at 6:32 PM, Jeffrey Walton <noloader at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I have no idea what standard processes Macports adheres to.

Yet, you claimed that because of "audit requirements" MacPorts must distribute patches to any software you install via the port command.

>> Please explain what the enforcement mechanism is if MacPorts fails this imaginary audit (ie, do you get something other than a refund of the $0 you paid?). How does this audit compel volunteers to fix an issue for you for free?
>
> $0 means nothing.
>
> There are no enforcement mechanisms. You could plead to the developer
> hoping they will take pride in their workmanship. It is hit or miss
> whether it works.

Ok, it sounds like your argument is: "MacPorts must provide the patches I wish for because otherwise I will consider them bad developers with no pride in their work"

Which I don't think is reasonable, but you're free to consider MacPorts developers good/bad/ugly/pretty or whatever.

You're also welcome to advocate for policies that you think are appropriate or, even better, to volunteer to help the project in areas where you feel it is deficient.

> Sometimes we find gems, like Botan and cURL, but they are few and far
> between. Folks like Jack and Daniel are constantly improving their
> processes. When someone finds a gap they try to address it. They don't
> say "go talk to someone else" when it affects their project.

Here's an example that might make things clearer for you.

When you build the apache httpd server, you can choose to link it against the PCRE library. If you report a bug in the PCRE library to the Apache httpd project, they will refer you upstream. You can complain all you want, but it won't force them to patch PCRE to fix the bug you found.

>> I'm also curious what imaginary audit wouldn't first point out that python2.7 was sunset on January 1, 2020.
>
> No, the audits folks have to go through are real.

Audits are real, MacPorts being required to do something to pass your imaginary audit is not.

> A finding on Python 2.7 is irrelevant. What is the point?

I guess the irony of you demanding patches for upstream unsupported software because of some vague hand-waving about audits is lost on you.

> The most curious responses often come from folks who have never been
> exposed to project management, development lifecycles or SDLCs. They
> are literally the group that does not know what they don't know.

Personal attacks are fun too, I guess.

FWIW, I've worked for organizations with lots of formal SDLC process (and organizations with less process). In my experience software quality is inversely proportional to the amount of process (YMMV) - I suspect that this is more to do with organization size than the processes themselves, but I haven't done the necessary research to determine what the actual truth is (Perhaps someone has, it would be interesting to read about a well designed study to investigate this).

> I don't believe I have a misunderstanding. Macports is a supplier of
> software for OS X. Macports is responsible for the software they
> provide.

The software that MacPorts provides is the 'port' command. You can choose to use the port command to easily install other software.

--
Daniel J. Luke