hints for porting sunrpc programs to macOS?

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Tue Aug 25 14:41:45 UTC 2020

The few times I've tried, it was a royal pain, because the macOS rpc(3) calls seem to be really ancient, not much like those on other OSs I might grab application code from; DEFINITELY not like Solaris, but not even like FreeBSD. I think I figured out enough of the equivalent calls to get one of the RPC services (probably rpc.rwalld) running, but that's it. I'd love to port rpc.rstatd (remote performance info) and rpc.sprayd (network test) and maybe a couple others, but it's such a pain.

Are there any MODERN sunrpc service libraries that have been ported to macOS, or any other solutions? Or anyplace else I'd be likelier to find an answer? :-)