Alternative to uninstalling and reinstalling possibly broken macports & xorg installation

Phil V pv.bugzilla at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 11:28:06 UTC 2020

Hello! On a fresh install of Catalina 10.15.5 I attempted to install
macports and xorg. Possibly I may have not installed XCode fully
before running the macports installer, and this *might* be the cause
of errors I've been getting. I am bringing this up to the list as the
macports website says, "uninstalling MacPorts is a drastic step and,
depending on the issue you are experiencing, you may not need to do
so. If you are unsure, ask on the macports-users mailing list first."

Thank you for any advice.

HISTORY
I received some error messages during the installation process, (now forgotten).
When I attempted to run port, there was a problem with the PATH, which
I had to manually fix.
Later it appeared that I still needed to approve the XCode license.
This made me wonder whether I had completely installed XCode at the
time I had run the macports installer.

Besides the initial path not setup problems, xorg does not seem to run
correctly. Errors below:

ssh -X gives "Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth
key data not generated
xeyes:   # "Error: Can't open display:"
konsole # qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display...   (core dumped)
ssh -Y gives "Warning: no xauth data; using fake authentication data
for X11 forwarding.
This appears to tunnel X, but I would prefer to use the safer -X option.
Other (linux) machines are able to use 'ssh -X' with the same host.