Alternative to uninstalling and reinstalling possibly broken macports & xorg installation

Phil V pv.bugzilla at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 08:41:06 UTC 2020

On 8/28/20, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> Do you mean installing the MacPorts xorg port, or something else?

yes the macports xorg-server. Is it preferable to install
https://dl.bintray.com/xquartz/downloads/XQuartz-2.7.11.dmg ?
Which do you use?

> Based on what you've written, I don't believe that uninstalling and
> reinstalling MacPorts would help, or at least would not be the most
> efficient way to solve the problem.
> Not having had Xcode or the command line tools installed at the time you
> installed MacPorts is not a problem. It could just cause some ports to fail
> to build. That can be remedied by installing Xcode or the command line tools
> and trying to install the affected port again.

OK that is reassuring.

>> ssh -X gives "Warning: untrusted X11 forwarding setup failed: xauth
>> key data not generated
>
> I'm not familiar with this warning, but Googling turned up this page:
>
> https://serverfault.com/questions/273847/what-does-warning-untrusted-x11-forwarding-setup-failed-xauth-key-data-not-ge
>
> It suggests that using the -Y flag instead of the -X flag avoids that
> warning, but you say below that you don't want to do that.

Correct, I need it to work even under untrusted situations.

>> xeyes:   # "Error: Can't open display:"
>> konsole # qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display...   (core dumped)
>
> Make sure you have the xinit and xorg-server ports installed (port installed
> xinit xorg-server), and check the notes of the xinit port (port notes
> xinit).

  xinit @1.4.1_0 (active)
  xorg-server @1.20.8_0
  xorg-server @1.20.8_1 (active)

$ port notes xinit
xinit has the following notes:
To use MacPorts' X11 as the default server, install xorg-server, log
out, and log back in.

I logged out and in again after port upgrade and no improvement.

>> ssh -Y gives "Warning: no xauth data; using fake authentication data
>> for X11 forwarding.
>> This appears to tunnel X, but I would prefer to use the safer -X option.
>> Other (linux) machines are able to use 'ssh -X' with the same host.
>
> Googling this warning led me to this page:
>
> https://serverfault.com/questions/422908/how-can-i-prevent-the-warning-no-xauth-data-using-fake-authentication-data-for
>
> It says:
>
>> The solution was to add this line to /etc/ssh/ssh_config (may be
>> /etc/ssh/config in some setups) or in ~/.ssh/config (if you don't have
>> admin rights):
>>
>> XAuthLocation /opt/X11/bin/xauth
>
> Of course that would apply only to XQuartz. When installing xauth with
> MacPorts, I presume you would instead use:
>
> XAuthLocation /opt/local/bin/xauth

I did this, and it does remove one error 'xauth not found' from ssh
-vX, but ssh -X  still results in
$ xeyes
Error: Can't open display:

Any other ideas?

Are you able to use ssh -X successfully, and what installation method
did you use,
'port install xorg-server' or via the
https://dl.bintray.com/xquartz/downloads/XQuartz-2.7.11.dmg ?