Compiling a port statically

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sun Dec 6 21:52:32 UTC 2020

I'm going to play devil's advocate on this and another post (with competing positions, so don't feel bad).

MacPorts knows the library dependencies of a port. While it does not now (AFAIK) record the specific versions of each used to build an installed port, in principle, it could; at which point it could (also in principle) determine whether any of them had changed, thus requiring a rebuild of the port that depended on them, even if its version hadn't changed.

That's NOT a feature request, or probably even a practical idea. But IMO, it does indicate that there are solutions such that the library ports would NOT have to be aware of what used them.