Compiling a port statically

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Dec 6 23:53:19 UTC 2020

On Dec 6, 2020, at 16:44, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:

> Why should that change? You don't pre-build binaries for more than a few very common variants, so you wouldn't do so for static variants using such a capability.

True, we only build the port's default variants (and universal, if some port depends on it being universal), so if the proposal is to hide this functionality in a "static" variant, and if we don't change the buildbot to build more than just the default variants, then there would not be a problem of how to rebuild the binaries on the buildbot.