macports-users Digest, Vol 172, Issue 7

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Tue Dec 8 13:49:44 UTC 2020

> On 8 Dec 2020, at 8:00 pm, macports-users-request at lists.macports.org wrote:
>

> Does anybody have any configuration that would allow for running X11 in
> a window-as-display?  That is, a single Mac window would display an X11
> session: window manager, multiple windows, etc.
>
> Ie: X11.app can do windowed mode where each X-window is a Mac-window, or
> root where the entire display is owned by X11 (full screen), but cannot
> have root-in-a-window, where a single MacOS window would contain an X11
> session (window manager, windows, etc).
>
> Alternately, I could start a VNC server, and connect to localhost via a
> VNC client.
>
> I have tried:
>
> - X11.app does not have window-as-screen mode
> - Xnest does not appear to have a port (ie: tell X11.app to run Xnest
> and let it then run a window manager)
> - Couldn't find any Xnest-equivalent ports
> - packages category:vnc:
>   - tightvnc fails to build
>   - tigervnc is viewer only
>   - vnc fails to build
>   - cotvnc is viewer
>   - vineserver appears to be a vnc server to allow access to the Mac

At risk of sounding flippent the old <smile> "How do you get an elephant into a refridgerator"?
"Open the door and put it in. Don't look for complications"

likewise here

$ ssh othermachine
othermachine> xprogram

To get (and/or share a complete desktop) nomachine is easy and works well. Fullscreen or window.

James