Running X11 in MacOS-window-as-X11-display mode?

Ken Preslan ken at preslan.org
Wed Dec 9 05:44:43 UTC 2020

Thanks for the reply.

I was talking about the MacPorts version (port install xorg-server).  I switched from the XQuartz.org <http://xquartz.org/> version long before that.

My main problem was performance.  In the Mojave time-frame the xorg server was updated from 1.18 to 1.20.  Performance for xterm scrolling tanked.  It was unusable.  I complained on macports-users on April 1st 2019.  There was a thread about it and Christopher Jones created a xorg-server-1.18 port, which made things better for me.

When I upgrade to Catalina, the xorg-server-1.18 port stopped working.  I also had big problems getting Full Disk Access working for the X11 apps I was running.  So, I switched to VNC to Linux.

In my opinion, X11 support has been going downhill for a long time.  Since at least Yosemite.  You MacPorts guys are doing a great job, but I wish Apple would pitch in more.  It sounds like Jeremy H. knows exactly what to do, but Apple won’t commit to the work.

-
Ken Preslan <ken at preslan.org>