Using X11 for an older program

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 02:55:09 UTC 2020

> On 2020-12-21, at 10:55 AM, Michael <keybounce at gmail.com> wrote: > This should be a simple one. I hope.
> >
> > I just installed a program that was compiled against the release version of mac's X11. Crashes on startup with this:
> >
> > dyld: launch, loading dependent libraries
> >
> > Dyld Error Message:
> > Library not loaded: /opt/X11/lib/libpng15.15.dylib
> >
> > What symbolic links do I need? /opt has no X11 directory.
> Ok, another question. I found this: /opt/local/lib/libpng16.16.dylib I cannot find the older version. What do I need to do to install both the current and the older version of this library at the same time?

There are likely to be more libraries missing after you fix this one, but you can try.

EIther symlink a real library that is the same or as similar as you have into the position being looked for:

sudo ln -s /opt/local/lib/libpng16.16.dylib /opt/X11/lib/libpng15.15.dylib

or

use install_name_tool to change /opt/local/lib/libpng16.16.dylib to /opt/X11/lib/libpng15.15.dylib in your binary.

install_name_tool -change  /opt/local/lib/libpng16.16.dylib /opt/X11/lib/libpng15.15.dylib /path/to/my/binary

You can see that there are many many ways this could break / not work at all.

But it sometimes works, if you’re lucky, and the libraries are very close to what is being looked for.