MacPorts and mounted file systems

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Sat Feb 1 01:56:04 UTC 2020

I know that MacPorts is not happy with symlinks, but how about a separate
file system e.g. a mounted /opt?  I ask because there is barely enough
room on this "new" MacBook Pro (replacing the old one with a dead video
card) as the SSD is half the size of the original spinning rust, but the
used Pro was quite cheap.

In other words, does MacPorts use any hard links outside itself?  They will
fail if the target is on another file system.

Long term plan is to upgrade the SSD when I can afford it.

Thanks.

-- Dave, still trying to piece things together from incomplete backups