Solution (almost certainly): postfix fails to launch at boot

Steven Smith steve.t.smith at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 18:32:32 UTC 2020

Thank you very much for troubleshooting this issue.

First, as Gerben points out, macOS‘s postfix launch daemon is in /System/Library, so you’d have to disable SIP to unload it, which at best is a major PITA, and realistically a non-option.

Second, I see these two possible fixes:

• Include a little bash script in the postfix launch daemon that tests for macOS postfix being loaded, or port 25 in use, then wait a bit, and try a few times before giving up. I do this hack in the port macos-fortress-pf to make sure that PF is enabled. See this code:

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/blob/1a27634a3f38cd7eafb2d3ecc92a402aa62b7d7f/net/macos-fortress/Portfile#L290-L292

• Edit /etc/postfix/master.cf as Gerben suggests.

My concern about the second option is that it will never give the macOS postfix a chance to do what it wants to do a boot time, and I don’t know what the unintended consequences would be. Also, every time you update the system this fix will get undone. Does macOS 10.14+ have an published approach to turn off native postfix completely?

I would prefer the first option because it takes the least amount of effort on the part of users.