upgrade to osx 10.15 catalina

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jan 12 20:30:36 UTC 2020

> On 09/01/2020 1:50 pm, joerg van den hoff wrote:
>> I had to upgrade to 10.15 (wanted to postpone this further but ...) and recall that there were many reports over the last months of problems with subsequent macports upgrade, recommendations to use previous xcode releases with catalina and assorted package specific problems simply not being solvable right now.
>> I have looked at the mail archive and macports webpage but have not found a clear recommendation or statement what the current situation (as of jan 2020) is.
>> so simple question: is it save/recommended to use current xcode (11.3) when doing the usual macports migration routine? are there guaranteed problems in certain packages/areas? or is everything back
>> to normal (most things will work, some might not...)?

There were some new features introduced in Xcode 11 which caused some problems for some ports. I believe most of these are resolved in Xcode 11.3 so you should use the latest version of Xcode 11 with Catalina. You cannot use Xcode versions earlier than 11 with Catalina.

Note that the big green or red status boxes you see there do not necessarily correspond to the currently-available version of the port; see https://github.com/macports/macports-webapp/issues/135