Migrating from Sierra on one box to High Sierra on another

Dave Horsfall dave at horsfall.org
Tue Jan 21 01:28:39 UTC 2020

I don't have web access right now, hence the list...

My ancient Sierra MacBook failed (graphics board which is no longer
available) but I have been offered a more recent second-hand one for a
reasonable price, and it will run High Sierra (I don't want Mojave just
yet).

What's the procedure to update all the existing ports i.e. is there such a
thing as "port upgrade all" to do "the right thing"?  I have the old
system drive available (external USB - long story) and can slurp the
appropriate files over (I don't like restoring using Time Machine, and the
Capsule may not be up to date anyway, as I was working when the video
disappeared).

I know that I have to recompile my own stuff.

Anything else that I should know about?  I like to be forewarned, and
remember that I don't have web access right now.

Thanks.

-- Dave