rsync and different UTF normalization in APFS vs HFS+

Ces VLC cesarillovlc at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 09:53:16 UTC 2020

Hi!

Some of my disks are HFS+ and others are APFS. I've been using rsync for
years, in order to sync some folders across all my disks. There were no
problems until APFS was introduced into the game.

Now, in filenames that have UTF international characters, I often hit the
problem of rsync deleting a file and then rewriting it again, just because
the UTF normalization is not the same in both disks. Other users have been
reporting this (see here for example:
https://superuser.com/questions/1513326/rsync-from-mac-os-to-synology-with-btrfs-having-issues-with-file-and-directories
 ).

For over a year I've been tolerating this because I considered it
non-critical, but I feel I should fix it. However, I didn't find any posted
solution that could address this in a convenient and proper way.

People suggest to use the --iconv flag, but... does this mean that you need
to use different iconv settings depending on whether your transfer is
APFS->HFS+ or HFS+->APFS? If affirmative, it would be a bit clumsy, IMHO
(first detect the disk FS, then choose proper flags).

Isn't there some way for dealing with this more conveniently, in a way that
you don't need to check the disk FS before invoking rsync?

Thanks!

César