installation problem

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 12 06:11:53 UTC 2020

On Jul 11, 2020, at 23:46, Carlos Yeager wrote:

> Hi, I've carefully read the install instructions on macports page, however I still get "command not found" when I test it out. I have Xcode installed, the version is 11.5
> my purpose of installing macport is to install youtube-dl and I'm new to command line.

Close the Terminal window and open a new one. Type:

sudo port install youtube-dl

If it installs youtube-dl, you're done.

But if it prints "port: command not found", then your shell's PATH variable didn't get set up correctly. The MacPorts pkg installer should have set it up for you, but it cannot anticipate 100% of scenarios so sometimes you have to set it up yourself. Instructions for doing so are here:

https://guide.macports.org/#installing.shell

If you don't know what shell you're using, run this to find out:

echo $SHELL

What shell you use informs what shell startup file you need to modify.

This part of the guide appears not to have been updated for the fact that in macOS Catalina the default shell changed from bash to zsh, so if you are using the zsh shell, the name of the file in your home directory that you want to create or modify is: .zprofile

Once you've edited your shell startup file to set PATH, close the Terminal and open a new one.