setting up apache2 to serve as an SSL/TLS proxy for older systems?

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 15:58:58 UTC 2020

I have a home network set up like most everyone else:

192.168.N.N --> Router --> Internet

When older systems behind the firewall try to access newer SSL/TLS  servers, via macports or safari or other, they can generate errors as they don't support new protocols.

I am wondering if I can use Apache2 or Squid or SOCKS or something else to proxy these outgoing requests through a current machine, using their current SSL/TLS support, and send them back to the client in a format they understand.

When I have tried following web setup procedures for Squid, for example, it doesn't seem to work, but that could be my inexperience with this.

Is this possible, if I were to keep plugging at it?

Thanks,

Ken