freeciv SDL - blank screen on Mojave/Catalina

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Jul 26 06:30:57 UTC 2020

On Nov 23, 2019, at 10:37, Dennis van der Burg wrote:

> Since upgrading to Mojave, when doing a fresh MacPorts install and then installing freeciv (SDL client) and clicking on the Apps>MacPorts>Freeciv icon, only a blank screen opens instead of a screen with the game running in it.
>
> Has anyone else seen this too? Any ideas how to solve this? This package is currently listed on the MacPorts website as having no maintainer.

I believe this is a libsdl bug on Mojave and later for which I have submitted a PR which the maintainer of libsdl has not yet accepted:

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/7314

After your email, he modified freeciv so that on newer OS versions it uses libsdl2 which presumably does not have the same bug.

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/d95986d52be7a65f148d226c332cb4c01b823063