Fixing source-code bugs using MacPorts facilities.

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Mon Jul 27 06:02:56 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-26, at 10:30 PM, Ian Wadham wrote:

> Ken’s final step — sudo port -v -k install — does not work, or maybe works only on the first cycle.

Yes, once the port is installed, you have to specifically uninstall it before you can reinstall it again.

MacPorts will not install it again overtop.. or come to think of it maybe it will with the "-f" flag, haven't tried that...even so, I wouldn't really trust that.

So far what I have done is uninstall the port (this does not affect your build / work directory) and then run "install" again.

> Looking in /Applications/MacPorts/KDE4/kpat.app/Contents/MacOS/, the new executable (file kpat) does not get staged in from the …/destroot/… directory structure.
>
> This is the only runtime file that I am actually changing and KDE 4 does not care where its executable files come from.
>
> So I would be happy to test by running the kpat executable that appears in the …/destroot/… structure, unless you guys have a better way.

I afraid I don't exactly follow the question here, but maybe Ryan does.