Fixing source-code bugs using MacPorts facilities.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 28 10:06:21 UTC 2020

On Jul 27, 2020, at 01:53, Ian Wadham wrote:

> I’m just saying that I can execute the file 'work/destroot/Applications/MacPorts/…/kpat’ instead of ‘/Applications/MacPorts/…/kpat’ — at the command-line of course.

That executable may link with libraries installed by the port. If so, the executable would probably use the libraries at their installed location, not at their destroot location. If you have an old version of the libraries installed, that might cause problems. If you don't have the port installed at all, you'll get library not found errors. The application may also look for other data files at their installed location. All things considered, it's less problematic to install the port and then use the installed files.