Processes getting wedged in "U" (uninterruptible wait), state after Security Update 2020-003

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Mon Jun 1 20:48:36 UTC 2020

On 29 May 2020, at 8:56, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:

> So I'm not sure how the `-sp` flags got into your launchd plist again
> when they're not supported anymore.  Maybe Apple made a mistake in the
> security update.  If so, I'd expect them to reissue it.  If they do,
> the macOS build number should change.  I'm running Mojave 10.14.6
> build 18G5033.  How about you?  If you're running less than that, run
> Software Update again, or try downloading the security update from
> Apple's web site.
>
> Alternately, is it possible that you edited the plist file yourself to
> add the -sp flags?  MacPorts used to have instructions in the notes of
> the gdb port telling users to add the -p flag to the existing -s flag
> since this was required for gdb to work in OS X 10.10.  We removed
> those instructions some years ago since they were no longer helpful in
> OS X 10.11 and later but maybe you found and followed similar
> instructions elsewhere on the Internet, or you ran some installer or
> script that edited it for you.  On my Mojave system, the plist hasn't
> been modified since 2018-08-21, but you showed that on your system it
> was modified on 2020-04-16.  Of course, editing that file manually
> would require disabling System Integrity Protection.  Have you
> disabled SIP?  If so, consider reenabling it to protect your system
> from unwanted modifications.

Ryan et al.,

Apologies for the late update.  I discovered after I sent my last e-mail
to the list that on April 16th I did a "port upgrade outdated" and it
updated several things including (g)gdb.  24 minutes later, the .plist
file was edited.  I'm assuming that I must have done it and for the very
reason you describe - I found old MacPorts list postings saying it was a
workaround for gdb not being codesigned.

I didn't reboot the system after changing the .plist or I would have
found this problem back then, and not assumed it was due to some change
made by Apple with Security Update 2020-003 which is the first time I've
rebooted the system since April 16th.

With egg on face,

		- Greg