Building emacs-27 from source with AppKit, X windows, Gtk+ toolkit support...?

Carlo Tambuatco oraclmaster at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 10:38:09 UTC 2020

Hi.

I’m attempting to build emacs-27 from source and I would like to have AppKit support for running natively on macOS and Gtk3 support.

These are the gtk3 libraries I’ve got installed:

gtk-osx-application-common-gtk3 @2.0.8_0 (active)
gtk-osx-application-gtk3 @2.0.8_0 (active)
gtk3 @3.24.20_0+quartz (active)
gwenhywfar4-gtk3 @4.20.2_0 (active)

This is the warning I got during the configure step of compilation:

checking for X... no
checking AppKit/AppKit.h usability... no
checking AppKit/AppKit.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h:     check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h:     section "Present But Cannot Be Compiled"
configure: WARNING: AppKit/AppKit.h: proceeding with the compiler's result
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to bug-gnu-emacs at gnu.org ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
checking for AppKit/AppKit.h... no
configure: error: The include files (AppKit/AppKit.h etc) that
are required for a Nextstep build are missing or cannot be compiled.
Either fix this, or re-configure with the option '--without-ns’.

And configure says I do not have X installed:

checking for X… no

I also have ImageMagick installed, so I would like to link to that during the build also.

So, I would like to know if there are extra devel libraries I need from macports and if I already have the relevant
libraries, how do I link to them when building emacs-27…?

Here’s some more info about my build environment:

xcode-select version 2373

Apple clang version 11.0.3 (clang-1103.0.32.62)
Target: x86_64-apple-darwin19.5.0
Thread model: posix
InstalledDir: /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin

output of xcodebuild -find clang:

/Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Toolchains/XcodeDefault.xctoolchain/usr/bin/clang