registry.db getting rather obese (> 600MB) and updates very slow. Anything to do?

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 01:01:02 UTC 2020

>> I decided to do the obvious, backed up all the built software, and reinstalled everything.
>
> Has that helped? Do you now have a much smaller registry with the same set of ports installed? If so that would be unexpected and might indicate a problem in how we're cleaning up the registry during normal use.

I installed a subset of what I had previously installed. The registry.db is still small, but uninstalls are instantaneous again. I guess we see what happens over time.

All in all, all my 10.5 PPC port builds have been backed up, I made them all available as an archive source to a few interested users, and my system works like lightening again.

So i guess that's a win on all fronts.

Ken

$ ls -la
total 64624
drwxr-xr-x    6 root  admin       204 Jun 23 17:54 .
drwxr-xr-x@  13 root  admin       442 Jun 22 08:29 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 root  admin         0 Jun 23 17:53 .registry.lock
drwxr-xr-x  238 root  admin      8092 Jun 23 17:54 portfiles
drwxr-xr-x   26 root  admin       884 Jun 22 22:28 portgroups
-rw-r--r--    1 root  admin  33087488 Jun 23 17:54 registry.db