Rust 1.44.0.0 won't compile on macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and Trac ticket # 56351

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Thu Jun 25 11:28:51 UTC 2020

I did a "port upgrade outdated" and it looks like "librsvg" has a
dependency on Cairo which in turn pulls in Rust.  (I didn't have Rust
installed previously.)

There don't seem to be any pre-made Rust binary bundles for Sierra, so
it tries to build it from src and fails:

--
sudo port install rust
[...]

I seem to be hitting the same issue as described by Marcus Calhoun-Lopez
back in 2018:

https://trac.macports.org/ticket/56351

https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/50220

but that bug report was for High Sierra 10.13.4.

Most of the additions from his workaround in commit

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/e429b4d8a8b2667f23110596fbe7ebee9f28d72e

don't seem to be in the present rust/Portfile, which seems to have
varied enough from the one he based his commit on that I'm not
comfortable changing anything.

Is the only (other) workaround to de-activate llvm-9.0 +universal?

--
# port installed | grep llvm-
   llvm-3.3 @3.3_10 (active)

Thanks,