Rust 1.44.0.0 won't compile on macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and Trac, ticket # 56351

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jun 26 03:48:13 UTC 2020

On Jun 25, 2020, at 07:25, Greg Earle wrote:

>> Is the only (other) workaround to de-activate llvm-9.0 +universal?
>>
>> --
>> # port installed | grep llvm-
>>   llvm-3.3 @3.3_10 (active)
>>   llvm-6.0 @6.0.1_1 (active)
>>   llvm-7.0 @7.1.0_0 (active)
>>   llvm-8.0 @8.0.1_0 (active)
>>   llvm-9.0 @9.0.1_0+universal (active)
>> --
>
> In the interests of expediency (and impatience), I did just that:
>
> --
> # port install llvm-9.0 -universal
> --->  Computing dependencies for llvm-9.0
> --->  Fetching archive for llvm-9.0
> --->  Attempting to fetch llvm-9.0-9.0.1_0.darwin_16.x86_64.tbz2 from https://packages.macports.org/llvm-9.0
> --->  Attempting to fetch llvm-9.0-9.0.1_0.darwin_16.x86_64.tbz2.rmd160 from https://packages.macports.org/llvm-9.0
> --->  Installing llvm-9.0 @9.0.1_0
> --->  Deactivating llvm-9.0 @9.0.1_0+universal
> --->  Cleaning llvm-9.0
> --->  Activating llvm-9.0 @9.0.1_0
> --->  Cleaning llvm-9.0
> --->  Scanning binaries for linking errors
> --->  No broken files found.
> --->  No broken ports found.
> --
>
> and now Rust builds and installs, but not without this final complaint:
>
> --
> --->  Building rust
> --->  Staging rust into destroot
> Warning: violation by /private
> Warning: rust violates the layout of the ports-filesystems!
> Warning: Please fix or indicate this misbehavior (if it is intended), it will be an error in future releases!

That's certainly not intended. Please file a bug report showing us what got installed in /private.

> I've put back the +universal variant of llvm until the next time I hit this.
>
> But it would be nice if Rust would build with llvm +universal (hint, hint).

If you are saying that having llvm-9.0 installed with the +universal variant prevents rust from being installed without the +universal variant, then that sounds like a bug to me.

There is already an upstream bug report about it: https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/issues/50220 If you want that solved, talk to the developers about it there.

You mentioned that we previously had a workaround for this in MacPorts https://trac.macports.org/ticket/56351 and I think it was unintentional that that workaround was recently removed so I've reopened that ticket to get the workaround reapplied.