installing MacPorts 2.6.2 on Ubuntu Linux 20.04

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Sat May 2 17:19:20 UTC 2020

> And then you can play around. I don't know if MacPorts on Ubuntu (or any
> other flavour of Linux) will ever be popular, but you can at least get
> started.

I'd like to add for anyone considering trying this -- and anyone more
knowledgeable please chime in -- macports prefers a less-priviledged
macports user, so after a little reading, this seemed to be the proper
set of commands to me:

sudo adduser --system --group --home /opt/local/var/macports/home
--disabled-password macports
sudo chown -R macports:macports /opt/local/var/macports/home

and with that, I see that macports is now building software using the
macports user, as it should. There don't seem to be any permissions
issues cropping up.

I'm thinking I should probably disable startup items, as these are not
set up in a proper fashion yet on Ubuntu, and also I'm not sure what to
do about

/Applications/Macports

as a location for binaries to be deposited.... have to think about that.

But, so far things are installing and appear to be working as they
should, although it is easy to get stuck on a port that doesn't build at
present:

$ port -v installed
   bzip2 @1.0.8_0 (active) platform='linux 5' archs='i386'
date='2020-05-02T10:00:33-0700'
   gettext @0.19.8.1_2 (active) platform='linux 5' archs='i386'
date='2020-04-30T17:42:46-0700'
   gperf @3.1_0 (active) platform='linux 5' archs='i386'
date='2020-04-30T16:57:02-0700'
   libedit @20191231-3.1_0 (active) platform='linux 5' archs='i386'
date='2020-05-02T10:01:29-0700'
   libffi @3.2.1_0 (active) platform='linux 5' archs='i386'
date='2020-04-30T16:39:06-0700'
   libiconv @1.16_0 (active) platform='linux 5' archs='i386'
date='2020-04-30T17:03:29-0700'
   ncurses @6.2_0 (active) platform='linux 5' archs='i386'
date='2020-04-30T17:22:29-0700'
   zlib @1.2.11_0 (active) platform='linux 5' archs='i386'
date='2020-05-02T10:01:45-0700'

(note - these all say archs='i386' but in reality, they are x86_64)

Ken