Is It Safe To Use reclaim?

Michael Newman mgnewman at mac.com
Sun May 3 21:43:55 UTC 2020

> On May 3, 2020, at 21:28, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
>
> Look at the output of "port installed unrequested". If you see any port in that list that you actually do want, indicate that by running "sudo port setrequested thePortName".

This is easier said than done.

The output of port installed unrequested has 461 items; most of which I don't recognize. Lynx is there and I know I want that. But the first port listed is a52dec. I don't know what that is, or what it does or whether or not I want it. I also see atk, automake, bison, harfbuzz, and many others which mean nothing to me.

Sure, I can do some research to figure out what each of these does, but then I will still have no idea whether or not I want them. Did I request some in the distant past? Am I still using them? No idea.

It seems to be a very daunting task.