Login shell

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Thu May 7 16:21:18 UTC 2020

Or see https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050 <https://support.apple.com/kb/HT208050> which describes the new behavior, and how to use Users and Groups to change the default shell, or how to use Terminal preferences to use bash by default from Terminal  (only, i.e. not if ssh'd in) without changing the default shell. It also mentions a few other things,, including how to silence the annoying warning  (which they hardcoded into bash itself, so you can't find some startup file to silence it):

 To silence this warning, you can add this command to ~/.bash_profile or ~/.profile:
export BASH_SILENCE_DEPRECATION_WARNING=1

I wondered why they made the change, so I googled and found https://pawelgrzybek.com/apple-changed-the-default-shell-from-bash-to-zsh-so-did-i/ <https://pawelgrzybek.com/apple-changed-the-default-shell-from-bash-to-zsh-so-did-i/>