Login shell

Bill Cole macportsusers-20171215 at billmail.scconsult.com
Thu May 7 18:48:17 UTC 2020

On 7 May 2020, at 12:45, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> I replace the system bash on older systems with the MP version, esp on
> Tiger.
>
> There was a nice trick presented on the mailing list a year or two ago
> by someone to use static libs to make it less fragile, so I use that:
>
> <https://github.com/kencu/myports/tree/master/shells/bash>

That looks like my ugly hack. I came up with it shortly after the
disclosure of the "ShellShock" vulnerability.

The reason to do this when replacing a login shell or (most importantly)
the system shell at /bin/sh is that you do not want either of those to
be breakable by modification of a shared library installed by MacPorts.

The primary reason that one should replace /bin/{bash,sh} with a newer
version on older versions of MacOS X is ShellShock.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not For Hire (currently)