Support for Sierra

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Mon May 11 22:50:22 UTC 2020

> Are these binaries no longer supported for Sierra?  I'm not sure how
> far I can upgrade this old MacPort Pro...

Pretty well supported. You can restrict your requests to those with
prebuild binaries with:

port -b -v install XYZ

You can check what is building by looking at
<https://ports.macports.org>, or checking
<https://packages.macports.org/myinterestingport>.

Some common-sense things: stay away from the absolute most cutting edge
things -- there is certainly no reason for you to install clang-devel
for example, or be worried about running the absolutely most cutting
edge rust. You're just asking for grief doing that. clang-devel exists
for people like me to see what needs to be done to get the next clang-XY
building on all systems. But every other version of clang runs on
sierra, as far as I can recall.

If you run into something you actually want, that doesn't work, most
things can be repaired with the knowledge that someone is interested in
it. MacPorts has something like 20,000 ports -- not every one is going
to get the attention of the 40 or 50 people who can fix things, all the
time. But most of us will help you out if you want something, and if it
can be done.

Best,

Ken