Issues with MacPorts migration from 10.12.6 Sierra to 10.14.6 Mojave

Greg Earle earle at isolar.DynDNS.ORG
Sat Nov 7 09:02:21 UTC 2020

I recently replaced my Mac Pro's logic board which came with up-to-date
firmware so now I'm on Mojave, finally.

I went through the MacPorts migration steps but am having loads of
problems.

They started with the "./restore_ports.tcl myports.txt" step.
Permissions errors (unable to create directories or symbolic links; even
after running "port self update"), then spurious claims of "could not
set effective uid to 504: 1 Operation not permitted".  I couldn't solve
either of these issues.

Eventually I just took the list of previously-installed ports in
"myports.txt" and tried to install them individually.

But I'm getting a ton of repeated errors like this one:

--
Error: Requested variants "" do not match those the build was started
with: "+universal".

Sometimes instead of "+universal" it's complaining about
"+java+universal":

--
--->  Computing dependencies for p5.26-xml-sax-base
--->  Dependencies to be installed: perl5.26 db48 gdbm gettext libiconv
first to remove the existing partially completed build.
Error: See
/opt/local/var/macports/logs/_private_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_tarballs_ports_databases_db48/db48/main.log
for details.
Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets to report a
bug.
Error: Processing of port p5.26-xml-sax-base failed
--

All I'm doing is iterating over "port install <portname>", so I have no
idea why it's claiming there was a previous "+universal" or

All I know is that around half of the builds are failing with this
issue.  Even though I did a "port -f uninstall installed" beforehand to
start clean.

Any ideas?

		- Greg