rebuild a package without an update

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Nov 14 12:12:12 UTC 2020

On Nov 13, 2020, at 17:45, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> On 2020-11-08 08:18:22 +0100 Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> On Nov 7, 2020, at 12:46, Riccardo Mottola wrote:
>>> I need to rebuild a package which is not working due to a dependency upgrde. revdep "catches" it but revdep fails to build it because it uses the wrong compiler and I need to force it (also because the compiler itself is broken because it is broken because the library is broken....)
>>> I usually in these cases just run "port upgrade xxxx configure.compiler=xxx" but in this case there is nothing to upgrade, I need to rebuild in place.
>>> How can I do?
>> This situation should not arise. But: you can force a rebuild of a port using:
>
> Indeed, but we have an issue that ICU upgrades break libxml2 and that one breaks *all* clang compilers.
> Since gcc now links using clang.... also al macports clangs are broken!
>
> So I have to force the "gcc-4.2" of xcode... that one works (and, luckily, libxml2 still compiles with it)

My point is that "sudo port upgrade outdated" should work. If it does not, we may have a bug somewhere that we need to fix, and what you're describing above sounds like we haven't declared dependencies correctly somewhere, or maybe we have a circular dependency. Forcibly rebuilding a port is nice to know how to do, I just wanted to emphasize that it is not a task we expect users to need to do on a regular basis.