macOS 11 Big Sur and MacPorts

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Nov 15 16:27:22 UTC 2020

On Nov 11, 2020, at 10:06, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Apple has announced that macOS 11 Big Sur will be released tomorrow, November 12, 2020. In the coming days we will either release an installer for MacPorts 2.6.3 for macOS 11 or will release a new version of MacPorts with installers for all OS versions including macOS 11.
>
> It is likely that many ports will still fail to build on macOS 11 at this point. And for those that do build, we won't start building archives for macOS 11 until after it's released, and once we start it will take weeks to build everything, meaning if you upgrade early, it's likely you'll have to build ports from source, which takes time.
>
> So as with all other major OS versions, I encourage you to wait awhile before upgrading to macOS 11 if you want a smoother transition for your MacPorts software.
>
> Once you do upgrade, as always, you should follow the migration instructions:
>
> https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
>
> And if you find a problem, search our issue tracker and file a ticket if there isn't already one, or submit a pull request if you know the fix. Thanks.

macOS 11 is released, MacPorts 2.6.4 is released to be compatible with it.

I still urge you to wait some weeks before upgrading to give us time to sort out the issues.

When you upgrade, PLEASE UPGRADE XCODE AND THE XCODE COMMAND LINE TOOLS. They are SEPARATE software packages that need to be updated SEPARATELY. It's in the migration instructions; please follow them. Software Update might not tell you to update them; seek out the installers manually. We are getting TONS of bug reports from people who have failed to upgrade the command line tools and are getting build failures as a result. PLEASE save us the time of troubleshooting your issue and let us work on actual issues by upgrading your Xcode *AND* the command line tools. Thanks.