macOS 11 Big Sur and MacPorts

John Chivian jchivian at chivian.com
Sun Nov 15 22:53:48 UTC 2020

My perception is that the "xcode-select --install" is not needed, as the
message below indicates.  For me, every time Xcode is updated, the first
time I start it following its update I am prompted to update components,
and the current version command line tools are installed.  Perhaps the
manual xcode-select is required if you don't actually start Xcode the
application following its update.

My experience with MacPorts and Big Sur (as before with Catalina) was to
simply follow the MacPorts update instructions, after updating and
starting Xcode as described above, but without that manual xcode-select
step.

Regards,