Re: What does "Warning: No port … found in index" mean?

Andrew Udvare audvare at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 03:47:09 UTC 2020

> On 2020-11-17, at 21:04, Jim DeLaHunt <list+macports-users at jdlh.com> wrote:
>
> Hi, folks:
>
> In doing my daily `sudo port selfupdate` on 16 November UTC, I encountered a warning which is new to me:
>
> "Warning: No port […portname…] found in index"

Seems like a race condition where your index was blank at the time some check ran.

> In redoing `sudo port selfupdate`, this warning did not reoccur.
>
> What is the significance of this warning?  What, if anything, should I do about it?

If you start seeing this often, you may have hardware issues.

> The MacPorts output was something like this:
>
> % sudo port selfupdate
> Password:
> Warning: No port libiconv found in the index.
> Warning: No port libiconv found in the index.
> Warning: No port expat found in the index.
> Warning: No port libiconv found in the index.
> --->  Fetching archive for jbig2dec
> …[elided remaining 170 lines]…
>

> The set of ports mentioned in the warnings were: expat, fribidi, libiconv, libunistring, libxml2, p11-kit, pango, python_select, python3_select, urw-fonts, xorg-libsm, xorg-libX11, xorg-libXaw, xorg-libxcb, xorg-libXcursor, xorg-libXext, xorg-libXfixes, xorg-libXi, xorg-libXinerama, xorg-libXrandr, xorg-libXScrnSaver, xorg-libXt, xorg-libXxf86vm, xorg-xcb-util, xpm, xrender.
>
> I spot-checked a few of the ports. They are currently valid, installed ports, with one version active and one older version inactive.
>
> What is this "index"?

One would be:

/opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/macports/release/tarballs/ports/PortIndex

All sources get indexed for faster querying.

> Is this warning related to the upgrade of MacPorts base recently?

Likely the index was rebuilt.