Scheduled downtime for rsync.macports.org on October 2

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 2 01:14:11 UTC 2020

Our partners at the Friedrich-Alexander University who run rsync.macports.org plan to do maintenance on the server on October 2, 2020. The server is expected to be offline for about 60 minutes sometime between 11:00 and 14:00 UTC.

Running `sudo port selfupdate` or `sudo port sync` during the maintenance window will fail if your MacPorts is configured to use rsync.macports.org (which is the default) or nue.de.rsync.macports.org. Try again later.

Installing or upgrading ports during the maintenance window should work. The FAU server also backs our CDN at distfiles.macports.org and packages.macports.org but MacPorts should either be able to get the files cached by our CDN or will failover to another one of our mirrors. In the unlikely event that you encounter a problem with distfiles.macports.org or packages.macports.org during the maintenance window you can add either or both hostnames to the host_blacklist setting in /opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf. Remember to undo those changes after the maintenance window is over so that you can continue to benefit from our CDN.